Weight Loss Goal for September 1, 2010

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Going Shopping

I went shopping yesterday to pick up some healthy snacks.  I was amazed how difficult it is to find things to eat that are both healthy and affordable.  Fresh fruit and veggies are obviously healthy, but they are a little more expensive in winter than they are at other times of the year (unless they're canned, in which case they are not as rich in nutrients and have a lot more sodium or sugar).  And I also tried to find healthy cereal, crackers, granola, and breakfast bars.  I did manage to find some, but it took a lot of searching and label-reading.  Just about EVERYTHING out there is super high in sodium!  Sodium is one of the things I'm trying to cut back on.  And another thing, everything labelled "low fat" had about twice at much sodium as the "regular" option! Apparently, when food companies take out fat they throw in a bunch more salt to add to the flavor.  Crazy!  A lot of what I found that was actually healthy was organic-grown, which is more expensive.  I am still committed to trying to eat healthier, but this makes my pocketbook a little sad.  Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. You're doing great, Melissa!

    You can actually make your own granola. It's not hard, and it's a whole lot cheaper than store-bought. Plus you control the ingredients.

    Here's the recipe I use (I increase the oats to 4 cups): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/granola-recipe/index.html

    Here's the same chef's recipe for granola bars (which I haven't tried, but looks good): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/granola-bars-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pam! I'll have to try that! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Ultimate Weight Loss Goal