Weight Loss Goal for September 1, 2010

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Book Review - The New FIT OR FAT

I went to Goodwill yesterday and, as usual, found some great buys.  One of these is a book called The New FIT OR FAT by Covert Bailey.  My review is about this particular book which was published in 1991. There is a newer edition which I have not read called The Ultimate FIT OR FAT, which was published in 2000.

This book is an easy read with a lot of good information and some great tips for people who want to start to incorporate exercise into their lifestyle.

One of the things he talks about is why dieting alone is not the healthy way to lose weight.   People who have excess fat have a body chemistry that converts calories into fat.  When a person gains fat, it they gain it in their muscles as well as under their skin.  Dieting removes subcutaneous fat, but not intramuscular fat.  Exercise (especially aerobic exercise) reduces intramuscular fat, "increases muscle, tones it, alters its chemistry, and increases its metabolic rate.  All of these cause you to burn more calories even when asleep."

After explaining all of the benefits of exercise, Bailey goes on to explain how to exercise to lose weight.  He describes the difference between aerobic exercise and anaerobic exercise, and why aerobic exercise is the most beneficial way to lose weight.  He defines aerobic exercise as "steady exercise, exercise that demands an uninterrupted output from your muscles for a minimum of twelve minutes."  In contrast, anaerobic exercise occurs when you overexert yourself.  "If you make a muscle work too hard, it will need more oxygen than your heart and blood can deliver."

Also outlined in the book is a list of aerobic exercises that he recommends and how to begin doing aerobic exercise if you are a beginner or if you are excessively overweight.

This book has made me excited to exercise!  Breaking down exercise into 12 minute segments feels so much more doable to me right now than thinking about exercising for 2 hours straight.  I also feel like I can go at my own pace and not worry about how slow I am compared to other people.  I can't remember the last time I felt excited about exercise!  Woohoo!

5 comments:

  1. Thinking of you today! I briefly went to Lincoln park yesterday with Brian and he really had fun. Want to go to the park with me one of these days when we go for a walk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grace of God and his peace be with you this week, Melissa.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, thank you so much! Your continued encouragement is really helping me to stay focused. I really enjoyed walking with you this week. I hope we can do it again soon. After you recover from your surgery, that is. Praying for you, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book sounds like it has great advice! I've heard more and more that 'Burst' training is the healthiest way to go, especially if you are trying to loose weight. Short 'bursts' of all you can do followed by rest or less strenuous exercise, followed by another 'burst' is apparently all the rage these days. ;-) Even down to the level of when you're taking a walk, walk vigorously for 30 seconds to a minute, then the same time at a normal pace, and then repeat.
    Keep up the awesome work girl! I believe in you! :-)
    ~Alicia G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I've heard a tiny bit about burst training. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to see if I can find more out about it and then maybe fit that in down the road when I'm able to run without falling down dead. lol

    ReplyDelete

Ultimate Weight Loss Goal